Whether you are at the beginning of your Tai Chi journey or have already had some prior experience learning Tai Chi - our Beginner class is a great way to try Tai Chi for the first time or to see if you can build or expand on what you already know and then join an adequate class level in our curriculum.
Take the first step and join our friendly group and embark on a journey of growth, joy & discovery.
This class will introduce the beautiful Yang Style 24 Short Form - one of the most widely practiced Tai Chi forms around the world as well as the 8-Brocade Qigong Set (also known as the 8 Pieces of Brocade or 8 Jewels).
The Yang style is characterized by evenly paced, soft flowing movements which are almost 'zen-like' distilled in their postures and transitions - while also offering a myriad of delicate intricacies within the execution of each move, transition or stance. The gentle physical requirements of Yang style Tai Chi make it suitable to a wide audience in regards to physical requirements as well as age range.
The 24 Short Form introduces the primary stances and principles found in Yang style Tai Chi and provides a great stepping stone to all the other forms in our curriculum and to the art of Yang Style Tai Chi in general.
The 8-Brocade Qigong Set is one of the most commonly practiced forms of Qigong used to harmonizes body, mind and spirit and to circulate, cultivate, enhance, and guide vital internal energies to achieve health, vitality, and spiritual awareness.
How Tai Chi can help you:
- Enhanced body awareness and conditioning: Learn a more holistic, gentler approach to conditioning and harmonizing body, mind and spirit than through high-intensity, high-impact exercises or sports that can harm joints, muscles or ligaments. Experience not only being physically balanced but also emotionally.
- Nourishing inner peace, stillness and connectedness: Focus, clarity & inner harmony through connecting mind, body & spirit - not only within but also without. Only by being connected can we become whole and in balance.
- Finding fulfillment in physical practice and spiritual immersion: A good martial artist is like a superb traditional craftsman - always refining, deepening technique, feeling and knowledge - knowing that the whole universe exists in the tiniest of movements. The art of Tai Chi Chuan instills the practitioner with a deep feeling of gratitude and humbleness, of being part of something bigger, something deeply meaningful in which the self becoming less and less important.
Don't miss this opportunity to start learning Yang Style Tai Chi from the very beginning with a group of peers where everyone is starting at the same level rather than being put into an existing Beginner class that already is in session for months. Our Beginner classes that start from the very beginning and basics of Tai Chi are only scheduled on average every 7-8 months.
Class Level: Beginner
Class Times: Mondays, 6-7pm
- The Berkeley Performing Arts
2560 Ninth Street, Suite 119
Berkeley, CA 94710
- Monthly Group Class Tuition: $90 (4 classes/month)
- Trial Class: $10
- Private Lesson: $95 (1 hour, can be shared (max. 2 students))
Please provide your own Tai Chi Fan. Once you pre-register we can provide you with links to purchase an appropriate Fan online or locally (Length 13″ with plastic or bamboo ribs, nylon cloth) . Make sure to calculate shipping & handling times to ensure you have the Fan once class starts.
Why is pre-registration required? The no-obligation pre-registration simply gives us a little bit of an idea of the to be anticipated class size and also allows us to contact you with the exact start date/time for this class.